MSF is recruiting cultural mediators and interpreters for our projects along the migration routes in Europe.
Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) is providing medical care and survival kits to refugees and asylum seekers travelling through Europe. We need cultural mediators and interpreters in our projects in the Balkans and Greece. Languages required are at least one of the following: Arabic, Dari, Farsi or Tigrinya.
CULTURAL MEDIATOR and INTERPRETER
Main Purpose of the job:
- Contribute to the building of MSF visibility and acceptance by creating a link with the communities.
- Provide MSF project with an understanding of the local, socio-cultural determinants through the knowledge of the beneficiaries’ cultures and a reading capability of the context in which he/she should operate.
- Support all required medical and non-medical activities within the project, by decoding the demand expressed by the beneficiaries and meeting MSF staff’s expectations of quality interpretation and communication.
- Provide basic information (medical, transportation, procedures, etc.) to the beneficiaries and address them to other actors for specific information (legal, social, etc.)
- Take an active part in all necessary collateral activities linked to the beneficiaries’ health and social assistance, including information and advocacy.
- Degree in social science, social communication, social work or education.
- Training in interpretation or intercultural mediation is an asset.
- Fluency in at least one of the beneficiaries’ languages is mandatory:
- Beneficiaries’ languages: Arabic, Dari, Farsi, Tigrinya.
- Fluency in English is mandatory.
- Previous experience in interpretation and/or cultural mediation.
- Experience with other NGOs preferable.
- Flexibility and adaptability to other cultures and an environment with basic living conditions
- Openness to others
- Ability to work under stress
- Team player
- Humanitarian motivation
Temporary contract of 4 months. Monthly salary of 13,059 SEK.
Based in the Balkans or in Greece (i.e. you need to be a EU citizen, or have a work permit for Greece.)
We are recruiting continuosly. Your application will be screened by a Human Resources Officer and you will receive a response within four weeks of MSF receiving your application.
Any questions regarding this position can be directed to Lennart Dahlberg.