Coordinator positions are available at various levels. The work involves the coordination of medical or logistical activities, both for individual projects and for actions at the national level. As a coordinator, you also have responsibility for security.
From conducting exploration missions to managing teams of hundreds of staff, MSF project coordinators plan, manage and develop our field projects ensuring that all the departments work together to provide high quality care, whatever the needs.
DUTIES/RESPONSIBILITIES project coordinator
Our project coordinators are always based in the project (unless it is managed at distance due to security), and work together with the country coordination team to manage the project operations, team and security.
It’s an exciting and diverse role and they are responsible for some or all of the following:
- Implementation of project activities by coordinating the optimal use of medical, logistical, financial and human resources
- Management of project team, including security management in often unstable environments
- Supporting the team in the analyses of medical data, activity indicators and quality of care
- Ensuring the continuity and coherence of the health structures, medical-, paramedical- and psychosocial activities
- Acting as a liaison and arbitration point between different parties working in hospitals, health centres and/or mobile clinics
- Being responsible for the implementation of the team health policy
- Representing MSF on project issues towards local communities, authorities and their counterparts and towards UN agencies and other nongovernmental organizations in the project area while taking into account the goals, objectives and strategy for the mission as a whole
- Promoting MSF identity and principles as an independent humanitarian medical organization
- Negotiating with different actors and stakeholders
- Being responsible for human resource management of a multi-cultural and multi-disciplinary team including supervision and coaching of local and international staff
- Contributing to create, review and update policies and reports such as country policies, annual plans and trimester reports
- Preparing and monitor project proposals, budgets and evaluations
- In collaboration with the Project Administrator Ensuring correct implementation of the administration including bookkeeping, national staff salary administration and cash flow planning
- Planning, monitoring and ensuring logistics continuity in the project sites
- Providing regular monthly reports on programmatic, security and contextual matters
- Liaising with the country management team as appropriate
Please read the basic requirements for all roles.
We're only recruiting a small number of project coordinators at the moment so please only apply if you meet all essential criteria specified below.
For internal candidates currently working with MSF, please speak to your line manager in the field or to your HRO directly, we do not accept internal applications for the post of project coordinator via this website as the screening process is different.
- Significant professional experience in a project management capacity, international and/or healthcare/medical management preferred
- Significant professional experience in a low-resource or emergency setting
- Proven ability in being responsible for delegated security management is essential
- Extensive experience (professional or travel) outside of your home country (experience in remote/low-resource settings is an asset)
- Proven people management and communication skills leading a multidisciplinary team
- Demonstrable experience in supervising, managing, coaching and training others
- Strong organization skills
- Proven affinity with humanitarian and medical issues in complex crisis situations
- Excellent negotiation and diplomacy skills
- Excellent problem solving skills
- Willingness to work in unstable environments
- Ability to represent MSF with national and international counterparts
- Deep understanding of humanitarian principles
- Excellent people and communication skills
- Fluency in English
- Leadership skills
OF ADDITIONAL MERIT
- Knowledge of French is an advantage (minimum of B2 level in French)
Voices from the field
To read first-hand stories from coordinators working overseas for MSF, visit our blog.
Your safety and security
We take safety and security seriously. This video explains the risks our staff face and the lengths we go to keep them safe.
Please watch this before you decide whether or not to apply for this job.
READY TO APPLY?
Working for MSF is a commitment, rather than just an adventure or a job opportunity. Make sure you have read and understood the information on Life in the field.
We can only accept applications from Swedish and Finnish residents (Swedish/Finnish citizens and those eligible to work in Sweden or Finland).
Är du intresserad av uppdateringar från vår HR-avdelning?
Anmäl dig till vårt HR-nyhetsbrev!